Welcome to SEA
SEA is the professional association for career members of the Senior Executive Service (SES), equivalent executive positions, and rising government leaders. SEA is not only the voice of the senior career leaders through a strong advocacy program, it empowers senior leaders across government by providing the tools, resources and connections they need to succeed in the 21st century.
Now that you've joined, it's time to start making the most of the services and opportunities that SEA offers. Below you will find information about member services, ways to stay connected, opportunities to engage on critical policy discussions, and a variety of career resources.
News & Information - Stay Connected
There are a variety of ways for you to learn about what is going on inside SEA, find out the latest stories affecting senior executives across government, and gain insight into practices, programs and tools being used across government.
- Member Alerts - members receive regular electronic Member Alerts on a range of topics including: Commentary and analysis of the latest policy changes in the federal government and how they uniquely affect Senior Executives, events and training opportunities for career leaders, and the latest news and happenings inside the Senior Executives Association.
- ACTION - members receive a monthly electronic newsletter that contains news stories, job postings, policy updates, highlights of good practices across government, and more. Please make sure your email address is correct in SEA's system so you receive ACTION on time. NOTE: If you elect to stop receiving the newsletter or a member alert, it unsubscribes you from everything. Please contact the SEA staff if there is something you do not want to receive.
- Social Media - follow SEA on Linkedin or Twitter
- News - As a member you will receive news from SEA, but you can also find an RSS feed of news articles featuring quotes and commentary from SEA on a variety of federal management topics. Use the following link to access SEA's RSS feed and put it into your RSS reader. SEA RSS Feed >
- Research - SEA partnered with Deloitte to survey more than 750 Senior Executive Service (SES) members and those in equivalent positions. The survey reveals a number of concerns leaders have related to their leadership pipeline, executive readiness, and ability to transform government agencies. The good news is that federal executives care deeply about the organizations they lead, clearly understand what they are accountable for, and are anxious to see key changes to help improve leadership selection, development, and empowerment. View Survey Takeaways >
- Website/Member Login Portal - Access Now >
- Email - SEA primarily communicates with members via email and other electronic channels. Please check your profile in the Members Only portal to make sure your contact information is up to date. You may use any email you prefer, but SEA encourages you to use your personal email for general communications with the Association.
Engage through SEA - Share your Experience
- Join a Community of Change (CoC) – SEA currently operates five CoCs. They tackle a variety of cutting-edge policy discussions and work to produce tools, guides, playbooks and educational resources that help senior leaders, and government agencies, tackle pressing challenges. Learn more about the CoCs here and Sign Up here.
- Affiliate with a Local Chapter – if you are interested in forming a chapter (either geographic or by specialty), please contact the SEA staff to learn how.
- Cross-Government Advocacy – Be a part of the conversation about government transformation through SEA's advocacy to Congress, the Administration and across the Executive branch. SEA staff will periodically send requests for background information, visits to the Hill, and calls to action via emails and Member Alerts.
Career Resources - Advance the Leadership Profession
SEA’s mission is to empower career senior leaders with tools, skills and connections to help them meet the challenges they face at work every day. Some of these resources are online in the Members Only section of the website, others are through SEA’s Professional Development League.
- Coaching - SEA and its partners offer 1:1 coaching and peer to peer coaching.
- Mentoring - SEA offers flash mentoring and can connect members to longer-term mentoring opportunities. SEA also partners with Young Government Leaders (YGL) for Project Next Generation (hyperlink), a program connecting experienced mentors with rising leader protégés. Flash mentoring sessions will be advertised via Member Alerts.
- Webinars, Career Planning and Help Guides - SEA has access to expert career advice to help members achieve their goals. You can watch the webinars at your leisure and can find a list of current offerings on the Members Only section of the website. New webinars will be advertised via Member Alerts and ACTION.
- Ask the Experts - SEA members can reach out to current and retired senior executives for advice and expert guidance on a range of topics. Any time you have a questions, fill out the form on the Members Only section of the website and you will be contacted by a fellow SEA member.
- Career Opportunity Board – Members looking for a detail, needing a detailee or new employee, or who are interested in a rotation or a new position, this platform lets them connect with other members across government. Information is located on the Members Only section of the website and also shared via Member Alerts.
- Strategic Networking – connect with SEA members, partners and others across government through a membership directory, social events, Communities of Change and the PRA Leadership Summit. Events are posted on SEA’s website and also listed in Member Alerts.
- View additional offerings from SEA’s Professional Development League – SEA members receive discounts on PDL trainings, resources, and events that focus not just on career advice, but on the topics, issues and skills that are critical for senior leaders.
Discounts & Services - Access Personal Tools
SEA partners with a variety of service providers to help members tackle challenges or receive benefits. Click on each of the providers below to learn more about their services and the discounts they offer to SEA members.
- Professional Liability Insurance | FEDS Protection
- Financial Planning | Pasta & Murphy | Variplan
- Retirement Planning
- Legal Services | Shaw Bransford & Roth
- Career Coaching Services | Experience Matters
- Auto Insurance | GEICO
- Car Rentals | AVIS
- Hotel Rentals | Hotel Storm
Volunteer Opportunities - Be a part of the Team
SEA is small but mighty - passionate about public service and empowering career leaders across government to succeed. But SEA's team can't do it alone. They rely on member experience, energy and expertise to drive programs and engagement. SEA asks all members to consider joining a CoC, but there are other opportunities as well:
- Presidential Rank Award Leadership Summit
- Spearhead a policy discussion
- Plan or be a speaker at a panel event/webinar
- Share information about the tools, practices and resources that others across government could benefit from
- Take a leadership position - in a CoC, on a Board Committee, plan events, etc.
SEA Membership – Stay Relevant. Stay Connected.