DOE Seeks Highly Capable SES Members for Post
The Department of Energy’s (DOE) Environmental Management (EM) Program is seeking interest from highly capable Senior Executive Service members who want to be considered for a key leadership role as the Associate Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary for Corporate Services.EM’s Corporate Service function includes strategic planning; budget; acquisitions; project management; cybersecurity; human capital; and communications activities directly managed by specialized staff. The Associate Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary, will provide leadership and oversee these operations. As EM embarks on a number of exciting initiatives in the Program we are looking for a highly capable DOE Senior Executive Service member to bring strategic and corporate leadership talents, new ideas and a commitment to excellence to our Program.If you are interested in this exciting opportunity to oversee a diverse cadre of corporate support functions, I encourage you to consider the following Expression of Interest. I look forward to hearing from you.
EM’s Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary
Office of Environmental Management
Expression of Interest:
The Department of Energy’s (DOE’s) Office of Environmental Management (EM) is seeking interest from current Senior Executive Service members who are interested in being reassigned to EM as the Associate Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary (APDAS) for Corporate Services.
Position: EM Associate Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary for Corporate Services
Organization: Office of Environmental Management
Location: Washington, DC
Opening Date: December 18, 2017
Closing Date: January 16, 2018
The EM program was established in 1989 and is responsible for the safe cleanup of five decades of nuclear weapons development and production, and Government-sponsored nuclear energy research. The cleanup effort involves safely treating and storing millions of gallons of radioactive waste, thousands of tons of spent nuclear fuel and special nuclear material, disposition of large volumes of transuranic and mixed/low-level waste, huge quantities of contaminated soil and water, and deactivation and decommissioning of thousands of excess facilities as a result of the Manhattan Project and Cold War buildup.
Duties: The EM APDAS for Corporate Services is responsible for implementing a robust program of services that provides management, direction, coordination and day-to-day guidance of strategic planning; development of financial procedures and policies; acquisitions; project management; workforce management; corporate information services; cybersecurity; facilities; administrative services; and, strong external and internal communications.As the APDAS, three EM-HQ offices headed by SES employees providing essential business management leadership to enable the EM mission will report to this position. These executives provide essential business management leadership in the areas of Resource Management; Acquisition and Project Management; and Communications.
The APDAS for Corporate Services is charged with:
- Providing day-to-day operational oversight and management of the EM Corporate Services including financial management; acquisition and project management; workforce development; corporate information systems; cybersecurity; facilities; administrative services; strategic external communication; internal communication; and, mission execution ensuring complex-wide integration and corporate services to ensure line management accountability;
- Providing Corporate Services support and advice to the EM program and field offices to include EM-wide policy and planning;
- Directing Corporate Services Offices organizational activities; framing strategic plans based on broad organizational assessments and evaluations of long-term organizational objectives;
- Determining the financial and personnel resources needed to achieve mission objectives and support mission operations; overseeing and directing internal organizations staffing policies, including the recruitment of senior managers and technical experts;
- Providing executive leadership in strategic planning, policy development and direction of EM acquisition and contract activities to include the execution of all cleanup and closure contracts;
- Overseeing the execution of Project Management policies and directives;
- Serving as the primary focal point within EM for development of the budget and ensuring effective presentation strategies and materials be presented for EM’s annual budget submission to Congress;
- Ensuring the development, implementation, and maintenance of EM Information systems in compliance with fiduciary, control, security and efficiency standards promulgated by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), General Services Administration, and Departmental guidance;
- Providing executive leadership in the development of EM Human Capital (HC) strategies, policies and guidance in accordance with Presidential and Secretarial HC initiatives;
- Assessing proposed Congressional legislation and regulations affecting policies, including budget, HC, and procurement planning; and,
- Serving as the point of contact with the DOE Office of Public Affairs, the Office of Congressional and Intergovernmental Affairs and coordinator with the Office of Chief Financial Officer in the development of a multi-faceted EM communications program in support of internal and external communications.
Requirements: The ideal candidate for this position has extensive experience in and knowledge of Federal management of business support functions in a large organization with similar size, scope, and complexity to those managed by EM. Strong leadership skills and business acumen are necessary for effective execution of the duties of the position.Area of
Consideration: Senior Executive Service members with a strong background in Federal Budget; Acquisition; Human Capital; Information Technology; Communications; and Project Execution.
How to Apply: Candidates interested in this reassignment should submit their resume to: Julie Dock, HR Business Partner at Julie.Dock@hq.doe.gov. The subject line should state: Expression of Interest EM APDAS for Corporate Services.